SENIOR PROGRAMME MANAGEMENT OFFICER (SPMO)
December 28, 2017
Ref No: 017/2017
Duration of Contract: One year (with high possibility of extension subject to satisfactory Performance)
The adoption of the Paris Agreement and subsequent ratification by countries ushered in a new era in the international climate change dialogue processes, shifting the focus from negotiations to implementation. Coming with the Paris Agreement was the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), a set of voluntary actions each country is supposed to undertake in their transition to low-carbon, climate-resilient green development trajectories. This massive transition requires institutions with desirable capacity and requisite human resource.
We at PACJA believe that building a critical team of Africans drawn from communities at the frontline of climate change impacts – smallholder farmers, pastoralists, marginalized groups, women, youth, etc – and giving them a voice constitutes a major step towards resilience-building and climate justice. It begins with our practice and the processes we are involved in.
We practice what we preach. Our membership and employees uphold the highest level of commitment to the values of a just society outlined in our vision, mission, and objectives. And in broadening our outreach, we seek to increase our workforce by recruiting self-motivated individuals to fill the following vacancies.
Position Summary: The successful applicant will be providing guidance to various programs and project officers and consultants. The aim of the position is to provide expertise and experience in key areas relevant to PACJA’s mandate and provide a mentoring role to the Secretariat programme/ projects team. The role covers advice on project management and strategic plan delivery through quality control, timescale planning, process management and containing and managing risks. The successful candidate will play a pivotal role in the successful delivery and implementation of the PACJA strategic plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
Programmatic role (75%)
- Manage and coordinate the project activities, applying strategic planning, RBM and systematic coordination of project activities
- Manage day-to-day project implementation and overall coordination of project outcome
- Ensure supervision, and proactive consultation with programme/ project team, Consultant(s), and ensure effective communication and coordination of projects delivery.
- Identify any support and advice required for the management, planning, and control of the Project to deliver on the intended results.
- In close consultation with relevant finance department, ensure timely preparation and compilation of the monthly Work Plans and Progress and financial reports
- Implementation of PACJA’s organizational strategy and the project work plans.
- Relationship building with partners, including Donors, Governments, the private sector and other NGOs to achieve the strategic objectives of the organization.
- Prepare reports on key project activities, issues and required action points, review reports and final review reports, and where applicable.
- Ensure the quality of outputs and results with optimal monitoring mechanisms; establish effective coordination, monitoring, information sharing and reporting systems
- Assist in development of the gender mainstreaming strategy and ensure the mainstreaming of gender into all activities
- Ensure proper professional relationships with relevant organs of PACJA, Donor partners, Governments and other stakeholders
- Where applicable represent the organization in assignments, as assigned from time to time.
Communication, policy advocacy and Fundraising role (25%)
- Build and maintain exceptional relationships with policymakers (African Group of Negotiators, AMCEN & Governments), counterpart coalition in both North and South, advocates in support of the online efforts
- Working with relevant staff and strategic partners and contact people in national platforms, design and implement an outreach campaigns plan that mimics and supports overall Programme activities, including building a robust and interactive website, organising webinars, and designing relevant action alerts to disseminate key information and data.
- Development of quality proposals
Required Skills and Qualifications
- At least a master’s degree in development studies, Environmental Studies, Public Policy Analysis or any other related field.
- A minimum of 5 years project/programme management experience preferably from Coalitions with diverse membership, at National, regional or continental levels.
- Proven record of policy and advocacy experience in
- Experience working on climate change issues, including familiarity with and passionate about the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and related processes
- Excellent conceptual and analytical skills and demonstrable ability to think strategically.
- Experience of managing donor relations and contracts.
- Full computer literacy and familiarity with e-presentation techniques and ability to operate with online web-based applications.
- Experience in project design, organizational and strategic planning processes.
- Strong interpersonal and management skills and Ability to establish effective working relationships in a multi-cultural environment
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of French is desirable.
- Punctuality, intellectual curiosity, willingness to take initiative, multi-tasking, and willingness to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
How to apply
All positions are based in Nairobi, Kenya and thus non-Kenyan applicants will need to be in possession of, or be eligible to receive a Kenyan Work Permit. The salary is pegged to the Kenyan National NGO pay scale. PACJA will not provide for relocation costs.